Thursday, January 21, 2016

January 21, 2016

I love learning new words. Not necessarily new, new words more new words to me. You know, like expanding your vocabulary type of thing.Sure it might be weird to some but to me? I love it!

Today, I had an experience that made me want to look up a new word, I won't go into the details of what that whole deal was about because I'm not really into embarrassing people publicly. Okay, maybe I am just a little, just not on the internet because folks you know that crap will come back to bite you in the ass when you least suspect it.

So don't do it! Just say no! Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

Anyway, it evolved around me trying to be funny and come up with an alliteration around the word smelly and it had to start with the letter M. So I went to my trusty thesaurus, please don't hate me, and looked up synonyms for the word smelly, which netted me eighteen hits (hooray!) and two that start with the letter M. Not bad, more than 11% of the synonyms started with the letter I wanted them to start with.

The first was malodorous, which let's be honest here, it can be quite the handful to say, especially when you are matching it up with a one syllable name. Malodorous Mark just doesn't roll off the tongue for example.

The second was mephitic. Wow, I have never even heard that word before. Let's see what its definition is shall we?

me·phit·ic
məˈfitik/
adjective
  1. (especially of a gas or vapor) foul-smelling; noxious.

PERFECT!

And it rolls off the tongue so much nicer too. Mephitic Mark versus Malodorous Mark, which would you prefer to say? Maybe I should run a poll on it? Nah.

Just thought I'd share my newfound word, maybe it's new to you too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment