Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Review: The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America

The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America by Erik Larson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I am so glad that I finally got around to reading this book that is all about the Columbian Exposition of 1893 in Chicago and as a bonus, one creepy mofo. I found myself going back in time to when the city of Chicago worked to put together the 1893 World's Fair, also known as the Columbian Exposition because it was celebrating the 400th anniversary of when Columbus, at that time, was thought to have discovered America. It is the story of Daniel Burnham the architect of the "White City" and of the Devil that lived nearby. I'll keep that name a mystery, mainly because I am drawing a blank and don't have the book in front of me. Needless to say, I sure am glad that I wasn't a young female that was visiting the big city, alone, in the 1890's. The fact that the Fair went off with minimal hitches, heck that it was even built in time shows a sense of pride in a city by coming together to make it all happen. The fact that it ended up becoming the greatest spectacle of the time is even more amazing. Mr. Larson has painstakingly researched the subject and does an outstanding job of presenting it here that makes my little history-loving heart beat with joy. So if you haven't already read it, I highly recommend you give it a try, I don't think you will regret it.

Happy reading!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment